This one-week course is designed to provide the participant with the tools and techniques to successfully teach the required 40-hour pre-service training to all school bus operator applicants. This course requires constant interaction among peers and each participant must conduct a 30-minute presentation to the class on one of the 14 units contained in the Florida Basic School Bus Operator Curriculum, April 2007 version. The instructor and the other participants will critique presentations in a positive and encouraging manner. Participants will learn techniques and explore the various resources available to instructors, including videos, handouts, activities and behind-the-wheel training exercises, to ensure a successful pre-service training program. Participants will also learn about required training documentation and retention of records, statutes and rules relating to the training program and class management strategies.
Units chosen for presentations MUST be pre-approved by the FDOE instructor(s). No more than two participants may present on the same unit during a single class. If there are multiple participants from the same school district, each participant must present on a different unit. Unit presentation approvals are on a first-come, first-served basis. Please inform the FDOE instructor which unit has been selected prior to attending class. A laptop computer and projector will be available for his or her presentation.
- Must be a current employee.
- Must hold a valid CDL with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements.
- Must have at least four (4) years school bus driving experience.
- Must complete a 30-minute class presentation on one of the units in the Florida Basic School Bus Operator Curriculum.
- Must possess skills and abilities required to present training material and exhibit leadership qualities.
- Must attend ALL classes to receive certification.
- Must notify FDOE of unit selected for presentation.
Instructor(s): Cassandra White | Cassandra.White@fldoe.org | 850-245-9924
Course Fee: $50
Course Length: 30-40 hours (Monday to Friday)
Attire: Business Casual
What To Bring: Notebook, Clipboard, Pens, Presentation (with at least one visual aid)